Friday, August 5, 2011

Advice for new teachers linking party....

Check out Fun in Fourth's linking party:

I loved this idea because the first year you're teaching you need all the help that you can get.  Plus, I was so fortunate to have the BEST help ever, and the most caring teachers to work with, so I'd like to pass that on.  I think it is also important as veteran teachers to read through different teachers thoughts and ideas and advice.  It allows us to reflect on our practice and gives us a few reminders that we sometimes need.  So, here it is my advice for new teachers:
1. Make sure you are having fun everyday - I love waking up in the morning and thinking "Yeah, I get to go to school today!"
2. Don't take too much home... yes, you may have to do some at home... but remember you need to rejuvenate too!
3. REFLECT! Think about your lessons, your students and yourself.  What went well? What could I do differently?
4. (This one comes after going to graduate school the last year and a half) Remember, everywhere, every school is going through something similar to what you're going through.
5. Don't listen to what others say about your kiddos coming in.  Keep a fresh slate and they will surprise you, and if you want advice about students go later after you've met them.
6. Beg, Borrow and Steal - from everywhere!  Internet, non-educators, students, teachers, etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Science Workshop Series #1: Elements of Workshop

I am currently reading the book "Science Workshop Reading, Writing and Thinking Like a Scientist" By Wendy Saul in hopes to pre...